DATES OF INTERNSHIP: July 1 – September 30, 2017
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 3 months
INTERNS SUPERVISOR & CONTACT INFORMATION: Growth, Health and Governance (GHG) Chiefs of Party
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP:
- Mercy Corps responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- $200/month stipend
- Housing in Kampala
- Cell phone
- Visa costs
- ISOS emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Transportation between Kampala and Karamoja
- Field travel costs
- Mercy Corps email address and online tools
- Workstation with computer, internet, and phone access
- All other tools, materials and communication requirements for this project to be undertaken
Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Air travel to/from Uganda
- Medical insurance
- Living expenses
- All other costs associated with this internship
Plan and organize 5 learning events for GHG: The GHG program has produced a wealth of printed and audio visual learning materials which are now ready to be polished and presented to a variety of stakeholders, including donors, peer agencies and local government, amongst others. GHG would therefore like to organize five one-day long learning events to be organized in each District of implementation (Kotido, Abim, Kaabong and Moroto) and a final larger event in Kampala. The learning events should provide an opportunity for Mercy Corps to share learnings, successes and challenges from the GHG program and Livestock Pilot through a variety of mediums designed to be appropriate to the audience and context. GHG will require logistical support to identify venues, prepare and share invitations, organize required materials in advance and provision for event supplies. Where possible each event should be tailored to the audience taking into consideration the geography and types of activities, challenges and learnings presented. The event should be organized to facilitate and capture feedback and dialogue around the impact of the GHG program.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: The intern will have a unique opportunity to understand and present the learnings and impact of a multi-year program across a variety of sectors and through a variety of mediums whilst working in the fascinating context of Karamoja sub-region as part of an energetic and entrepreneurial team.
DELIVERABLES: There are two deliverables:
- Successful planning and delivery of five learning events as described above
- Write up and format a learning report for each event
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience and/or desire to conduct event planning and learning events
- A Bachelor’s degree in international development, events & media, public policy or a related field and with knowledge and/or interest in the field of international development, Master’s degree preferred
- Strong written and verbal communicator (English)
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, creative, and a tremendous amount of flexibility
- A self-starter who can work with minimal supervision and limited resources such as intermittent electricity or internet in the field locations
- Adventurous persons willing to work in the least developed region of Uganda
The intern will reside in private accommodation in Kampala. In the field locations, accommodation will include Mercy Corps’ guest house or hotels. Internet is generally available in all Mercy Corps offices. There is access to running water and electricity in Kampala with occasional shortages while in the field offices. Security in Karamoja is good with no security-related restrictions.
The intern will have free weekends that can be used for tourism and safari activities (whitewater rafting in Jinja, safari in Kidepo, etc.) at their own expense.
Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply on the company website Click Here to Apply
Always be on the alert for potentially fraudulent job postings online - never send money to a potential employer